Thursday, March 15, 2012

Amedeo's, Famous Since 1963!

Wednesday, March, 13, 2012
Amedeo’s Italian Restaurant
This restaurant is located at 3905 Western Boulevard in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Just by searching Italian restaurants on Google, I never thought I would find a place with so much history behind it.
Amedeo’s was founded in 1963 by one of the North Carolina State’s football star, Amedeo “Dick” DeAngelis.
Walking in, I noticed there was a huge portrait hanging in the center of the wall. I went to the hostess counter and a woman named Jill gave me a menu and as we made a conversation I told her I was doing a blog on Italian food for my class. She simply replied, “I’m the right person you need to be speaking too.”

Above is Mr. DeAngelis himself and his father.

She began by introducing herself once again, then mentioned that she was the daughter of Amedeo DeAngelis and began telling their story.
DeAngelis, was from Reading, PA and came to NC State in 1954. He missed his mothers and grandmothers home cooked Italian meals so much he decided to open up his own restaurant.
Only seating 12, DeAngelis settled right in and has been famous ever since.
Trying to decide what I wanted to eat, I asked Mrs. Jill what she thought would be a great choice. She said, “The spaghetti with meat sauce was what they were famous for.” So with that in mind, I trusted her judgment and went with that.
Along with the spaghetti, it included a medium house salad with three slices of bread and a drink all for $8.95. I could not believe it! This was the first restaurant where I felt like I got my money’s worth that came with a large amount of food.


As I am waiting, Jill also mentioned that everything that they cooked was homemade from the sauces to the bread everything was fresh. I started to become overly excited.
The sauce was sweet and not as heavy as most of the spaghetti sauces that I have ate before. I loved how there was not a lot of tomatoes chopped up because that is a disappointment to me. It had just the right amount of spices mixed in with their homemade meatballs.
The salad tasted fresh and I have never tried homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette before, but goodness gracious it was delicious.
Before I left, I walked around and took some pictures of the man who started it all and some of the famous athletes and coaches that came through NC State.





Head Football Coach, Tom O'Brien!

Even one of NC States finest, Zach Galifianakis has visited.

Amedeo’s was so welcoming and delicious; I told Jill I would be back very soon. It was a great experience and learning about the history behind this place made my visit even more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment